Last Sunday, I was busy doing my Interior design project, which was very urgent. Suddenly, my laptop started lagging and crashed during the rendering process. This is why my laptop CPU isn’t compatible with that software. So, I, hurryingly, rushed towards the laptop’s technician and asked him, “Can I upgrade the laptop processor?“.
He said YES, so he asked me to pay him an amount to upgrade my laptop’s processor, which was not affordable for me. Therefore, I came back home with a heavy heart and decided to resolve my computer on my own.
As I believed in trying and trying till you succeed, I did a lot of research on how to upgrade my laptop’s processor and all the other solutions related to the laptop’s processor. I applied them, and BOOM! My laptop began working super-duper awesomely.
In this article
- 1 Can I Upgrade The Laptop Processor?
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3 Final Words
Can I Upgrade The Laptop Processor?
I thought many people go through the same problem every day, and it is not convenient for everyone to carry it to a technician, so I decided to share all my research and the best solutions with you all. I assure you that after getting this article, you will be able to resolve all your issues related to your laptop’s processor.
When is there a need to upgrade the laptop’s processor?
Before heading towards the solution, first, it’s important to locate whether your laptop is suffering from a processor problem or not. If you cannot find It, Don’t worry, we will help you out with this.
Following are the warnings you will see when there will be something wrong with your laptop’s processor:
- If your laptop freezes randomly during working hours or your mouse is stuck on the screen without any reason, it means there is some processor problem.
- If your laptop shuts down automatically, it means there’s some problem with the motherboard’s temperature, and your processor needs to be upgraded.
- Your boots-up mechanism on your laptop does not show any result? Not producing any sound? It’s alarming! Your processor might be facing some internal errors.
- While using, if your laptop becomes overheated more frequently, then there is a need to put an eye on its processor.
All the signs mentioned above can occur in many types of laptop-related problems, but the most common is the processor’s related issues. Sometimes your processor fan is damaged, which produces a beep sound, and your laptop shuts down automatically. In this case, all you can do is change the fan.
How to upgrade a laptop’s processor?
Right after getting the real issue with your processor, it’s time to upgrade it. Although there are many ways to boost the processor of a laptop, we will state here the best of all procedures.
You have to stay relax and follow the below simple steps:
- Remember that your laptop’s processor must be plugged into the laptop’s motherboard, which is the largest unit of the computer. To buy the processor for a laptop, you first must know the size and model of the motherboard.
- So, now you have to find the model of the motherboard. For this purpose, open the command prompt on your laptop and use a service “speccy” to help you get the important information on your screen regarding the motherboard. This information will include the motherboard’s chip model, vendor, and revisions.
- You can also find the motherboard’s related information around the CPU’s socket.
- Finally, you have complete knowledge of your motherboard. It’s time to choose the best and compatible processor for your laptop.
- For the processor, visit CPU support and click the “choose socket” option from there.
- Drop your motherboard’s socket number there.
- After that, press the “choose chipset option and write your chipset number there.
- Press the Search icon.
- After a few minutes, a window will pop up that will show a list of the most reliable and compatible processors for your laptop.
- Order the most suitable and affordable processor according to your motherboard.
- Hurrah! Now you have your new processor in your hand. Without wasting a single minute, let’s install it.
How to install the laptop’s processor?
- Shut down your laptop.
- Remove the side panel and remember to stay underground during the whole process.
- Find out where the motherboard is placed.
- Unscrew the heat sink, which is placed at the top of the motherboard.
- Remove the old processor and try to fit the new processor gently into its slot. Don’t use force, as it will damage your processor.
- After that, place the heat sink on the top again as, without it, your laptop will not work properly.
- So you are done with the installation/up-gradation of your processor. Reboot your laptop and reinstall windows and drivers into it.
How to upgrade a laptop’s processor speed?
Sometimes, there Is no need to replace your laptop’s processor with a new one. All you need is to upgrade your laptop’s speed. Below are some quick tips to upgrade your processor’s speed.
- You should frequently update your laptop’s driver. It will surely boost up your laptop’s processor speed.
- Don’t let your laptop be overheated or dusty for a long time. Please keep it clean and do the cleaning of your hard disk properly right after a few days. It will surely have a positive impact on your processor’s speed.
- It’s better to uninstall the programs you are not using anymore as these will overload your motherboard and make your laptop’s working slow.
- It’s better to keep your RAM upgraded to maintain the functionality of your processor.
Can I upgrade my laptop’s processor from i5 to i7?
So, technically yes, it is possible but not recommended as it is not reliable up-gradation. There will be no surety that your laptop will work with the previous efficiency or not. This up-gradation will only be recommended if you are highly experienced or if your CPU has LGA/PGA surface mounting.
Moreover, this type of upgrade will most probably damage your laptop’s battery timings as i7’s power consumption is extremely high compared to i5.
After knowing the above consequences, if you still want to upgrade it, be sure to share the same socket type.
So, the summarized answer is you can upgrade the processor from i5 to i7, but you should not do so. Rather it’s better to buy a compatible processor to meet your requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I lose my laptop’s data while upgrading the processor?
No, you will not lose anything as your data is stored on your hard drive. Just relax and upgrade your processor by using the instructions mentioned above.
Is there any difference between upgrading the CPU and Upgrading the processor?
No, there is as such no difference in modern laptops. Processor is a combination of CPU and microprocessor, so upgrading Processor and CPU are the same things.
What are the different types of processors for a computer?
There are many different types of processors. The most commonly used are:
- AMD Sempron
- Intel Atom
- Intel Centrino etc
Through my article, I have tried my best to resolve all your queries related to the laptop’s processor. I hope that you have met your desired solution.
This article explains how to upgrade your laptop’s processor and all other ways to speed up the processor. Further, your suggestions will always be appreciated. Keep suggesting us as it will help us to stay motivated.
Take care of yourself and your loved ones. See you later!