Have you placed a graphic card inside your computer and it’s not working?
Or are you scared to place one because you don’t know your system Motherboard’s Compatibility?
Well, not a big problem!
I think there will be no one who doesn’t know how to place a graphic card inside his PC but, I also know that how to check motherboard compatibility with graphic card is still an issue for you.
So, all I would like to say is just hold on, because today I am doing to solve this problem for good. For fitting the right GPU in your system you should have to consider the following things.
- The latest GPU
- PCle x 16 slot
- Required Space for a new GPU in your case
- PSU(Power Supply Unit)
- Avoid creating Bottlenecks
Let’s dig into these, one by one.
In this article
- 1 How To Check Motherboard Compatibility With Graphic Card
- 2 How To Check Motherboard Compatibility With Graphic Card | FAQS
- 3 Summing The Things Up
How To Check Motherboard Compatibility With Graphic Card
The latest GPU
To place the right GPU in your system, make sure you purchase the latest one. Because these latest ones are designed to fit with any motherboard even with the old ones. It’s obvious that we only need to check for graphics card compatibility if we want a dedicated GPU, otherwise all is good if you are already compatible.
Moreover, it’s better to ask the manufacturer or distributor because they have much knowledge about what video or graphic card will suit your video card case best and will fit easily into it.
How to tell what PCIe slot you have?- PCIe x 16 slots (preferred one)
What if I tell you a simple way of placing the latest GPU in your ancient case? or you might be looking for; how to know what GPU is compatible with motherboard?
Well, here it is. Having a motherboard with a PCIe x 16 slot will make you capable of putting any dedicated graphics card of your choice. You have to make sure that your system has the latest upgraded PCIe x 16 slots because here are some things that it can do.
- The PCIe x 16 slot is compatible with filling the old bottles with new wine. Yeah it means, it doesn’t matter what type of GPU you have, just make sure your motherboard has a PCIe x 16 slot. If it doesn’t have then upgrade your motherboard.
- PCIe x 16 slot’s 3.0 version is capable of running PCIe x 1.0 , PCIe x 2.0 or even the older cards. Moreover, in 2021 it has the most latest versions that are PCIe x 16 slots 4.0, and 5.0 and 6.0 are yet to come. You can imagine how much compatible this slot can be for running older cards too in your system.
- Make sure you are using the latest or old GPUs with the motherboard having PCIe x 16 slots otherwise it won’t work. Getting a GPU with a motherboard’s matching slot will also be a good idea.
- There is one more thing you should keep in mind that you need a free slot if you are planning to run multiple GPUs in your system. This will not happen with having only one PCIe x 16 slot. Required Space for a new GPU in your case-motherboard GPU compatibility.
You should consider that only having a PCIe x 16 slot will not be enough for ensuring GPU graphics compatibility. You must have a required space inside your case for placing a new GPU.
- Try to find the size of your case to ensure which card it will suit best. It is too easy to know for the new ones but for old PC’s I’d recommend you to measure with the help of a ruler or measuring tape as it will be a time saving and easy method.
- Now measure the size of your card, i.e is it suitable for placing? For this, start measuring from the expansion slot till near your PCIe x 16 slot. Make sure that whatever the size of your case, try to buy a card that has less size than it because it will always fit best and will save some space for you.
- You should also keep in mind where the PEG connectors are located on your purchased GPU. They can be on top or back for most of the cards. They play a vital role in strongly fitting within the case.
- Measuring the space is very necessary to determine how much space a card will take inside the case so that a reasonable amount of space must be free for running fans, maintaining proper airflow, and keeping the system cool.
How to know compatible graphic card for motherboard?-PSU (Power Supply Unit) Despite all of the above, this is the most important part you should take into consideration because without a compatible PSU you won’t be able to insert a new GPU.
- The GPU you are going to purchase requires a 6-pin, 8, or no pin connector. Because in most cases, you need a bigger connector if your GPU needs more power.
- If your GPU is the latest one, your PSU must be the same. If it will be based on older technology it will not suit your GPU.
- For required PSU capacity, your GPU’s power capacity must be half of your PSU capacity. Because the GPU takes more power while performing high duty tasks. So, it’s important to have a PSU with more connectors and the latest one’s.
GPU and Processor compatibility-Avoid creating Bottlenecks
I hope that you’d not be planning to insert the latest technology GPU inside your pc while the rest of the specs are low quality and old ones. If you’re gonna do that, I can assure you that you may have Bottlenecks issues. These can come from CPU, RAM, or other low-quality hardware.
So for keeping yourself safe and fast, always keep an up to date system for placing any kind of GPU inside it.
How To Check Motherboard Compatibility With Graphic Card | FAQS
Does a pc need a GPU?
Yes, of course, every pc requires a GPU to perform its best quality graphics. Moreover, these days there could hardly be any PC or laptop that comes without a GPU. But most of the time we require a dedicated one for performing heavy-duty graphics tasks.
Will any graphic card fit my pc?
Yeah, if your PC has all the above things, then definitely it can install any GPU and you can place any latest technology GPU inside your system.
How to know if a video card is compatible?
For compatibility, the card must be of the latest technology and can come up with all of the above requirements. If it does so, then it will be compatible with your system. By the way, most of the time asking the distributor or shopkeeper will be the best option because they have a lot of knowledge about that.
What kind of graphic card can I upgrade to?
There is nothing like this card will be best or this will be not. Hence, you can upgrade it to any level according to your own and your system requirements. For upgradation, PCIe x 16 slot is required in the most need.
Summing The Things Up
I hope that like always you have liked this article and if you keep in mind the above recommendations for checking motherboard compatibility with GPU, you can trust me on this that you won’t face any hurdle while placing any kind of video graphic or dedicated graphic card inside your system. So, have fun with the latest technology but always, choose wisely and choose better.
You may interesting:
- Can You Take Laptop On Plane In 2021?
- How To Use Laptop In Bed Without Overheating
- How To Charge Dead Laptop Without Charger | 5 Different Ways
Here are some of the best laptops with dedicated graphics card.