Apparently, this is not possible!
And this is why because the HDMI port is not capable of sending information outward.
However, one of my friends asked me a question: how to change HDMI output to input on laptop?
And that’s why you’re here.
Let me tell you a terrible conflict about laptop HDMI input.
When he was playing Fortnite with his friends on his PS4, and suddenly his younger brother hit the LCD.
Since the LCD broke, he thought that he could use his laptop screen as LCD by HDMI port. And then he searched out: can I use my HDMI port on my laptop as an input?
And then he found nothing exact about this question…
So, let’s find out that is possible? Or not?
If it’s possible?
If not, then what are the reasons?
Related: How To Play PS4 On A Laptop With HDMI | Step By Step Guide
How To Change HDMI Output To Input On Laptop
First, you should understand the HDMI port.
What Is HDMI?
Well, you should know that an HDMI port is only designed for output on our laptops. A lot of people, including my beloved, don’t know what HDMI really does?
They don’t even know what HDMI input is? What is the HDMI output? But let me tell you, there are two different things, HDMI cable and HDMI port. An HDMI port is available on our laptops that are only capable of output. And you can’t use it as an input source.
Not even possible!
Some of my friends asked me, is there any kind of cable available that converts HDMI output to input?
And the simple answer is…
You should know that it’s not possible to turn HDMI output to input. Because it’s a hardware functionality that couldn’t be changed.
There are different sizes available in the market right now. But you’ve to choose the best fit size to handle the external devices. Because the standard cable size is three-foot. Which is expected by most of the manufacturers.
And some cables are longer than usual, and some are smaller than usual.
Some cables can transfer up to 10.2 GBs per second, but this is possible only in advanced HDMI cables. Therefore most advanced HDMI cables can support 4k or even 8k video.
Different Types Of HDMI Cable
- Type A: It has 19 pins (compatible with DVI equipment)
- Type B: it has 29 pins (used for higher resolution screens)
- Type C: it has 19 pins (used for portable devices, such as cameras or tablets)
- Type D: it also has 19 pins (used for compact equipment, such as smartphones)
Versions of HDMI
- HDMI 1.0 (2002)
- HDMI 1.2 (2005)
- HDMI 1.3 (2006)
- HDMI 1.4 (2009)
- HDMI 2.0 (2013)
What Is The Difference Between Output And Input HDMI?
Both are different in terms of working. Let’s first understand the output.
Most of the devices have output HDMI, such as laptops. It means they can send information but not receive any information. And some devices have both output and input HDMI.
Monitors, TV’s and stuff like that, have input HDMI. It means they can only receive information but not send any information. As I mentioned above some rare devices have both output and input ports.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of HDMI
Advantages Of HDMI:
- You can transmit the 4k videos from one device to another device without losing the quality. Thanks to the advanced HDMI cables.
- You can use the HDMI for both audio and video. There is no need to use the cables separately for audio and video.
- You can share the data with ease as it’s a secure data transferring equipment. While transferring from the software is less secure. So security is the very first necessity.
- You can display different RGB colours by using HDMI. You get bright and vibrant colours and good quality. And this is not possible on previous methods of sharing videos.
Disadvantages Of HDMI:
- There is no possibility of switching to HDMI input on a laptop as the laptops have HDMI output ports. And if you really want to get HDMI input on a laptop, then you need to buy adapters as I mentioned above. There are also chances you buy an adapter, but your laptop may not have suitable hardware.
- The version I mentioned above plays a vital role. Because some devices do not support all versions, so make sure when you try to connect a device.
Frequently Asked Question
Is There Any Software To Switch Laptop To HDMI Input?
No, there is no specific software to change HDMI output to the input on a laptop. It’s a hardware functionality which can not be changed by using any kind of software. So do not download any kind of software for this.
Can I Use A Laptop As A Monitor?
Apparently, it’s not easy; however, it’s not impossible if you have a laptop which has both input and output HDMI ports. In that case, you can use a laptop as a monitor.
How Can I Convert HDMI Output To Input?
It’s not possible to convert HDMI output to input. Because that HDMI output port can only send signals but not receive anything.
How Do I Know If My Laptop Has HDMI Input?
It’s easy to know, check your laptop’s left or right side and you will indeed find the HDMI port. But that will surely output an HDMI port. As I mentioned above, there are rare devices that have input HDMI.
Alright, I tried my best to understand you about how to change HDMI output to input on laptop. The reason behind this is that you can change HDMI output to the input on the laptop directly. Therefore you have to use external devices and adapters to do that.
Besides, there is no specific software to switch HDMI output to input. So don’t waste your time on that software.
Let me know if you’ve any questions, just comment below, and I will come back to you as soon as possible.